Friday, June 29, 2007

Praise Him in ALL Things!

I heard a story today and wanted to share it with you.



Have you ever heard Tony Evans preach on the radio? I hear him often while I'm in the van and I really enjoy listening to him.



Today he was talking about how we should praise God in ALL circumstances and he told the story about how John Wesley was once robbed. Afterwards he got down on his knees and said, 'God, I thank you and I praise you that I was the robEE and not the robER. I thank you and I praise you that all he took was my wallet and not my life. And God, I thank you and I praise you that all I had wasn't much anyway'!



Now, I don't know about you, but I have to be honest and admit that there are many days when I find it hard to thank the Lord for much, let alone ALL things. But the Bible says... "Giving thanks ALWAYS for ALL things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Ephesians 5:20). ALL things. Not 'some' things. Not 'only the good things'. And not 'only when He does what you want Him to do'.



It says to give thanks for ALL THINGS. I tend to take the Bible pretty literally and when it says all things I take that to mean all things, good and not-so-good. In my Bible study helps it defines the word 'always' as "at all times". There's that word 'all' again!



Hearing that story has really made me look at some things differently. Sweetie went to a meeting yesterday that we were hoping would turn out a different way than what it did. Naturally I was disappointed and chose to listen to the voice of the enemy telling me how bad everything is and always will be and how nothing ever goes our way and how it's all my fault God never hears and answers our prayers. But you know what? Weeping endures only for a night and JOY comes in the morning!! Praise God!!



I feel much better today and I thank God and praise Him that my Sweetie still has work and his own company. I thank God and praise Him that Sweetie got a chance to sit and visit with an old friend and that this friend has so much faith and confidence in the knowledge and ability Sweetie has. And I thank God and praise Him for what He's doing behind the scenes on our behalf. The night before this friend called Sweetie up out of the blue and wanted to meet with him, God gave Sweetie a dream about this man so we know He's up to something. I can't wait to see what it is!



How about you? Are there things in your life that you can look at a different way and instead of being worried or discouraged you can find ways to be thankful and praise your Heavenly Father for? Have you ever heard the song 'Voice of Truth' by Casting Crowns? Since watching Facing the Giants (which I HIGHLY recommend for everyone to see if you haven't yet), this has become my life's theme song. Here are the words to it...



Oh,what I would do

To have the kind of faith it takes

To climb out of this boat I'm in

Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone

Into the realm of the unknown

Where Jesus is,

And he's holding out his hand



But the waves are calling out my name

and they laugh at me

Reminding me of all the times

I've tried before and failed

The waves they keep on telling me

time and time again

"Boy, you'll never win,

you'll never win."



but the voice of truth tells me a different story

the voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"

and the voice of truth says "this is for my glory"

out of all the voices calling out to me

i will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth



Oh, what I would do

to have the kind of strength it takes

To stand before a giant

with just a sling and a stone

Surrounded by the sound

of a thousand warriors

shaking in their armor

Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand



But the giant's calling out

my name and he laughs at me

Reminding me of all the times

I've tried before and failed

The giant keeps on telling me

time and time again

"Boy you'll never win,

you'll never win."


but the stone was just the right size

to put the giant on the ground

and the waves they don't seem so high

from on top of them looking down

i will soar with the wings of eagles

when i stop and listen to the sound of Jesus

singing over me



But the voice of truth tells me a different story

The voice of truth says do not be afraid

And the voice of truth says this is for my glory

Out of all the voices calling out to me (calling out to me)

I will choose to listen and believe

I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth



I will listen and believe...



The key words in this song are 'I will CHOOSE to listen and BELIEVE...'. It's a choice. Out of all the voices speaking to you, who are you going to CHOOSE to listen to and believe? And are you going to choose to complain and be down about things, or are you going to choose to thank Him and praise Him in ALL things?

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Very well said Christy.
Choosing to praise is something that we should do but it is very hard when we have the emotions telling us to do something else.

Sometimes the first step is asking God to help me handle _______ the way you want me to.

That is when He can help us remember to praise Him in ALL circumstances.

I am trying to find ways to praise Him (and help my son) during this time when his jaw is wired shut.

Your post helped me remember. The accident could have been so much worse, he could have broken that artery like they thought, he could have fractured his skull, he could have died is his sleep that first night because of a brain injury.

Praise the Lord I still have my baby with me and it is just a broken jaw!

Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Christy,
Wonderful site! Thank you.
Stepping out in faith is not easy at first. For me the more I Praised Him the easier it got. In fact when things of the world get me down. Praising Him liftes Me UP! So for me praise comes before everything. Before a meal, before a special task to be done. Before healing work, before a trip, before bed. Before everything.... In all things give Praise...

I know it's hard to remember sometimes and we all forget. Practice... it is diffrent for each of us. Baby steps, Lord I give you praise today for all that you have done and all you are doing in my life...is an easy way to start anything. May our Glorious Lord Bless each and every one of you.