Sunday, May 20, 2007

Working On A House Blessing

I haven't posted in a few days, but that's because I nearly can't
find my computer!








I also haven't played with my kids enough lately, or gone outside and enjoyed the beautiful spring weather, or gotten much school done, or just sat down and done nothing! I don't even know what THAT is!





And do you know the biggest reason why? It's simple. Because my house is a wreck! I'm not just talking a bit messy. No. It's much worse than that. Every room is a disaster area.





Between having out-of-state company for a week, having a necessary, spur-of-the-moment, 6-hour drive trip in which we stopped long enough to eat pizza then turned around and drove 6-hours back home, getting ready for a yard sale (while seperating those things that will probably sell better on-line), working, having a sleep-over with our Keepers at Home group at church, birthdays, and helping sweetie with his business... well, unfortunately our home has taken a back seat and has now become just plain miserable to live in.





But I'm working on it. I really am. I can't STAND my home to be in this shape. There is no peace, no joy. I constantly feel on edge and irritated. Things get lost and finding them makes an even bigger mess. Everyone seems to stay short-tempered when everything is out of order.






But a post from a fellow FIAR sister this morning helped me remember that life is way too short to allow Satan to steal our joy and peace through continually keeping me (us) uptight over the state of our home. I'm not talking about leaving it like this and not worrying about it. Heavens no!







But what I am determined to do is to take back what I have allowed him to steal from our family, from ME, for so long now simply because of my lack of housekeeping skills.





We have a small home. We outgrew it a long time ago. But, it is not time for us to move yet, so we have to find a way to live here and still have peace and order. That means continually de-cluttering, organization, and a set routine for all of us.





A place for everything and everything in it's place! I love that saying. And here's a great blog to help motivate and give ideas to accomplish just that. I've really enjoyed seeing all the different ideas shared here and hope to use some of her ideas in our home.





But the main reason for this post is to encourage anyone else in the same situation to take the time to JUST DO IT! Get your home de-cluttered, cleaned, and organized and then establish some kind of system to keep it that way so the devil can't steal this precious time with your children by always keeping you stressed over your home. Time is too short. They'll be grown before we know it and then it will be too late.






Our kids will also grow up to do just what they see us doing. If I walked into one of daughter's homes (several years down the road) and saw it looking like this one does right now, I believe I'd have to give her a good heart-to-heart mommy talk and then help her get it cleaned and organized for her sake and for the sake of her family.





And if I don't start changing my own ways right now, that's exactly what's going to happen. What's that going to say about the kind of mother I was? What problems is that going to cause my daughters and future sons-in-law and grandchildren? I want better for them, and it starts right here, right now.

No comments: