Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Is Your Home Welcoming?



Listen to (or read?) this excerpt from the book I mentioned in my previous post...

"Like a personal introduction, your home's exterior should extend a warm welcome to friends and family alike, giving them a glimpse of what is yet to come.

When we lived in Dallas, there was a charming home that I would go out of my way to drive past. It was a rather small house on a somewhat busy street, but it was a house that was obvioulsy overflowing with love and care. Just driving past it made me smile. I often fought the urge to go up to the front door and knock, just so I could meet the owners and solve my curiosity about what kind of people would live there. I knew they must be warm and friendly; their hom's exterior said so. The sidewalks were lined with a rainbow of colorful flowers. There was a huge American flag blowing in the breeze. The front porch help a few wicker rockers and an old armoire that seemed to say, "Come on in, you're home!" A silly, painted wooden cow grazing in the green grass told me that the owners had a sense of humor. What does your home's exterior say about you? Making our entrances pleasing to the eye may bless more people than we think."


What about your home? Does it draw people in and wrap them in warmth, welcoming them? Does pulling up to your home make you smile and sigh a peaceful sigh? While the front of our home isn't necessarily bad, it is far from where I'd like it to be. I have so many ideas I'd like to do, all of which cost money so it will be a gradual process, but I can't wait to get started! I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

The Proverbs Wife said...

I have been putting alot of thought into setting a budget for decorating my outside entryway/porch. I have added flowers to the beds in front but the step and doorway are still lacking.

I am thinking a door wreath of some sort and a potted plant. I am not talented at decorating just at copying. I have not seen an entryway like mine to copy yet.

This is a great subject to consider, since it is the first thing people see from the street.