Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Help With Cutting Your Grocery Bill


As I mentioned before, we are adjusting our budget here and there and one thing that has recently changed is my grocery amount. You would think that I would be upset and stressed over this, but actually just the opposite is true. Before I didn't have to worry about what I bought because I knew I had enough to get us through the month. But now I have to have a plan, a menu, and a shopping list based on that menu. The organization of it all fits my personality much better and I really enjoy finding the very best deals I can.

Sounds crazy, huh? Being happier with having a smaller amount of money to work with? But it's true. See, before there were no boundaries. I was just kind of out there flying by the seat of my pants and not being a good steward of what God had blessed us with. I'd just walk in the store and buy whatever looked good and whatever I thought we needed at the time. The thing is, I never sat down and made out a menu or a list and because there was no 'plan' I was having to run out to the store nearly every day or two to pick something up we needed. This smaller budget is a testimony to our desire to better use what we have been blessed with and to teach our children to do the same. Not only will we be saving money but I'll be less stressed because I won't have to worry what we'll be eating each day and I'll save time and gas because everything I need will already be in my kitchen! I'm so excited!

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm no expert. I've learned that it's a gradual process that takes time and learning. In addition to having a menu and shopping list I have found that shopping alone and only after I've eaten really helps cut down on what I buy as well.

I have also started using coupons just as much as I possibly can and it helps SO much. I get so many things for free or very, very cheap. And honestly, I depend on others to know where the deals are each week simply because I don't have the time to figure it all out. But just look at this HUGE list of deals and the coupons that match up with them at Wal-Mart this week! Did you notice the final price for all of those items?! Now THAT'S exciting, no?!

I've collected several blogs and websites I depend on to help me find good deals and coupons as well as recipes, tips, and advice so I thought I'd share them here in case anyone else is trying to lower their grocery bill as well. (When I say 'grocery' bill I also mean things such as bathroom tissue, soap, cleaning supplies, etc. All those other things we usually buy on a regular basis in addition to food).

Deal Seeking Mom
Economic Endevours
Money Saving Mom
My Two Cents
Stretching A Buck
Grocery Cart Challenge

Also, be SURE to check out the Hillbilly Housewife website. Here is a link to her Healthy pages in case anyone is interested, but there is a wealth of information all over her site.

Another blog I used to read is no longer around, but here are the blogs she had on her blogroll (sorry, this is just the name of them, not their links). I haven't checked them all out so be forewarned. But they appear to mostly be about money in some form or fashion. Maybe you'll find a treasure in there somewhere.

All Financial Matters
Ambie Bride
BeCentsAble
Blog Catalog
Blogomama
Blueprint for Financial Prosperity
Centsible Shopper
Cheap Danny
Chief Family Officer
Consumerism Commentary
Coupon Cravings
Creative Cents
Finance Hub
Five Cent Nickel
Five Minutes For Mom
Free 2 Be Frugal
Free Money Finance
Freebies 4 Mom
Frugal Dad
Frugal Family Kitchen
Frugal Shopping With Julie
Garden of Blessings
Get Rich Slowly
Goo Goo Buy Buy
Half Price Bob
Homemaker Barbi
Hot Coupon World
I've Paid For this Twice Already
Mighty Bargain Hunter
Millk Allergy Mom
Mommy Snacks
Money Saving Mom
More Rebates!
No Credit Needed
Northern Cheapskate
Rather Be Shopping
Sense To Save
SlickDeals
Stretching a Buck
Supermarket Savings 101
The "Cent"sible Sawyer
The Coupon Diva
The Mom Blogs
The New Frugal Mom
Why Ask Why
WPersonalFinance


No comments: