Monday, August 4, 2008

Dividing Spaces

Our home only has three bedrooms, and for 6 people sometimes that gets a bit 'close', if you know what I mean.

So our girls share a room and our boys share a room. No problem for the boys, but when you're 12 and you have to share a room with your 6 year old sister, weeellll...

So we decided to work with what we have and came up with a plan. We have split the girl's room right down the middle and painted each of their halves how they wanted. You have no idea what a HUGE undertaking this was! It took me 5 days and I still really need to touch up the baseboards, but that will have to be a project for another day.

Anyway, we're not done yet. We're going to put up a retractable clothesline we found at Lowes and hang twin sheets or curtains down the middle of the room so each girl can have her own 'space'. We're going to change the curtains over the window and the closet, put things back up on the walls, and try to find some kind of desk/shelving type thing for Baby Girl.

These pictures are before anything was put away, so they look a bit messy, but I just wanted to show you how the walls turned out. The girls LOVE their new spaces! They each picked the design and colors they wanted and I must say, they did good!

I'll share more pictures in the weeks ahead as we get the other projects in the room done.

These are the 'Before' pictures, even though I took them after everything was off the walls and I had spackled all the holes. And no, there were't pale yellow-looking circles on the walls. Must be something funky with my camera.





Here are some 'during' pictures...




And here are the 'After' pictures (before all our projects are done and before everything is put back away...LOL). The first one looks a bit dark, but believe me, it's anything but dark!






And just what did these girls do while mom was slaving away working on their room? Why reading of course! Baby Girl is helping Princess read and sound out new words. She was so patient with her. Isn't it precious?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you have two of each! We have 3 boys in one room. And Madi has her own room! LOL But the three boys are 13, 7 and 5. The little guys have learned pretty well that Dylan's part of the room is flat out his part of the room.

Amy said...

The room looks so cute! Great job! Love the picture of your girls reading together too.

Amy in Ohio (FIAR)

Anonymous said...

I just happened to stumble across your blog and so glad I did you did a good job on the bedroom but what I thought was the best part of these photos was the ones your girls reading. Too cute!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the girls room Christy! The painting is so creative and fun!