Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy, Healthy, Valentine's Day!


Happy Valentine's Day!

Being Valentine's Day I thought I would get on here and tell you all about the love of my life and how we met and how sweet he is and all that gushy stuff, but maybe I'll save that for when our anniversary rolls around in April. I think there's something a bit more important for me to blog about today.

I went to the doctor yesterday because of feeling a 'fluttering' of my heart. Thankfully, after hearing what my heart was doing and ordering an EKG, my doctor determined that my electrical 'spark' that keeps my heart beating in a normal rhythm is just pre-firing. That means my heart is going like this... thump, thump, thump, thumpthump...(pause), thump, thump, thump, thumpthump...(pause), thump, thump, and so on. He says that I can either live with it and let it drive me crazy or take beta blockers. Since I'm not real crazy about taking anything I don't have to, for right now I'm choosing to just live with it.

However, it did get me to thinking. Even though he said this happens to a lot of people and my heart is fine (as far as we know) I know I hear all the time about heart disease being the leading cause of death for both men and women. That's funny, I would have guessed cancer since we hear so many stories of people being diagnosed with it. But nope, it's heart disease.

Knowing that I have put on extra weight and that my blood pressure is up a bit, and now I have a heart 'thing' going on, I'm thinking it's time I do something about it. This IS something I can have some control over if I'll just make up my mind to do it.

How about you? Are you taking care of your heart? Do you know what you can do to help make sure your heart is healthy? Or are you like I've always been and think that heart disease will never happen to you? I sat in church last night and talked to two other women, ages 38 and 27 and BOTH of them have heart problems! If you think it only happens to 'other people', guess what? YOU are my 'other people'!

Here's a great place to get started on learning about heart disease and how to prevent it. Here's to healthy hearts for all of us!

No comments: