Tuesday, August 28, 2007

This Morning's Lunar Eclipse




This morning at 6:00 I woke three of my four sleeping children, something I'm usually TOTALLY opposed to (LOL), and we headed outside to watch the lunar eclipse. They were excited and jumped right up. Why don't they do that on regular school days? Anyway, we headed outside, sans shoes (we're country folk around here ya' know... actually we were too out of it to think to put shoes on) and watched as the red moon slowly faded from our sight.






While we waited for it to reappear, we tried to pet the neighborhood cat, since he and all the neighborhood dogs and roosters couldn't figure out why in the world these four crazy people were outside in the middle of the road in the dark in their jammies with no shoes on, but our crazy dog wouldn't let us. Every time the cat would get close to us Skip would jump right in between him and our hands. Crazy, jealous dog.



After about another 20 minutes and no moon we determined that either it was too cloudy to see it reappear or it was smarter than us and had gone back to bed! So we came back in and per the lovely little children's request, we began our school day! BEFORE 7 a.m.! It is now 10 a.m. and the teacher is glad that school is nearly done for the day, for she is feeling a wee bit sleepy and needs to take a nap. Heck! I even made PANCAKES for breakfast, BEFORE 7:30 a.m.!!! Sheesh!



But one thing I did want to mention before I nod off is that while we were standing outside watching the eclipse this morning, three school buses went down the main road (we're on a dead-end street) and it wasn't even 7 a.m. yet! How sad for those children on the bus that they didn't have the opportunity to observe one of God's amazing celestial phenomenoms because they had to go to school so they could READ about such things from a textbook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a FABULOUS day!

I'm with you on the schoolbus. My kids are just now realizing that going to school is an all-day every-day kind of thing... When they ask if some of their friends from church can come over to play, I tell them that they are at school and then will have to do homework, have dinner, baths and then to bed!

I would've loved to have been homeschooled. In high school, my first class started at zero hour (7:10) and the day ended with falling asleep on my homework at midnight (and I did my work AT school, this was strictly HOMEwork). Blech!