Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Trying Out New CVS Stores


We had to be out of town yesterday so we thought we would check out some new CVS stores this week. We visited two and let me say, it really all depends on which store you visit, that's for sure.

The first store we went to everyone was SUPER nice and helpful. One man, a CVS employee, even talked about the great deals he had gotten this month and how he couldn't understand people not getting things when they're free. The older gentleman that checked me out was even happy for me when he saw how great of a deal I was getting. That's my kind of CVS! I wish ours here at home was that friendly.

The second one we visited (because the first one was out of a few items I needed) was ok. Not overly friendly, but not rude either. I purchased some of the wrong item and when I tried to 'return' them they couldn't do it and they said they couldn't give me my coupons back for the items either. It had been a long, hot, and somewhat stressful day, and they weren't being mean about it or anything, so I didn't argue with them and just kept the stuff and figured I'd sell them in our yard sale this year. My coupons had been for more off than the item actually costs anyway, so no big deal.

Anyway, here's my booty for this week. Last week I didn't detail everything out but a reader said that my doing so really helped others 'see' how to get such great deals, so I'll go ahead and detail it out for you. I'm more than happy to help others learn how to save money! Stick with me though, it's pretty long. (I've put a summary of everything at the bottom in case you're not interested in reading through all the details.)

I started this week out with $24 in ECBs ($10, $6, $6, $2)

Store 1, Transaction 1:
-14 bottles of Sobe Life Water
normally $1.49 each, on sale for $1.00 each
used (7) Buy One, Get One Free coupons
Total: $7.00 for all 14 bottles
ECBs earned: $1.00 for every two bottles up to 10 bottles for a total of $5.00 ECBs

-3-pack of Irish Spring soap (we were totally out of soap)
Total: $2.79
ECBs: none

-Tic Tacs (as a filler item)
Total: $.89
ECBs: none

-Sour Candy (as a filler item)
noramlly $.79, on sale for .50
ECBs: none

Total regular prices for this transaction: $25.33
Total sale prices for this transaction: $18.18
Total coupons used: $12.00 (also used a $5 off $15 CVS coupon)
Used $6.00 ECB
Total paid out-of-pocket: $.61 (.18 subtotal + .43 tax)
Total ECBs earned: $5.00


Store 1, Transaction 2:
-2 Tide 50oz.
normally $7.99 each, on sale for $5.99 each
used (2) $1.00 coupons
Total: $11.98 for both
ECBs earned: $2.00 each for a total of $4.00 ECBs

-3 boxes 24count Excedrin
normally $5.49 each, on sale for $1.99 each
used (3) $2.00 coupons
Total: $+.03
No ECBs

-1 Mylanta 5oz.
normally $3.29, on sale for $1.65
had a $2.00 coupon, but register wouldn't take it
total: $1.65
ECBs earned: thought it would be $2.00, but must have been wrong Mylanta (didn't discover this until next store though)

-1 bag of peanut butter M&M's as a filler so I didn't lose some ECBs
normally $.79, on sale for $.50
total: $.50

Total regular prices for this transaction: $36.33
Total sale prices for this transaction: $20.10
Total coupons used: $13.00 (also used a $5 off $15 CVS coupon)
Used $5.00 ECB earned in Trans.1 and $2.00 ECB I already had
Total paid out-of-pocket: $.59 (.10 + .49 tax)
Total ECBs earned: $4.00 (missed out on $2 because of Mylanta)


Store 1, Transaction 3:
-3 Orapik Travel kits
normally $2.99 each, on sale for $2.79 each
Total: $8.37
ECBs earned: $8.37

-Adidas deodorant
$4.99
ECBs earned: $4.99

- Colgate 360 toothbrush
$3.99
used $1.00 coupon
Total: $2.99
ECBs earned: $3.99

-Rave hairspray
$2.59
ECBs earned: none

Total regular prices for this transaction: $20.54
Total sale prices for this transaction: $19.94
Total coupons used: $6.00 (also used a $5 off $15 CVS coupon)
Used $4.00 ECB earned in Trans.2 and $10 ECB (adjusted down to $9.94) I already had
Total paid out-of-pocket: $.06 (all tax)
ECBs earned: $17.35 ($3.99, $4.99, $8.37)


Store 2, Transaction 1:
-Freestyle Diabetic monitor
normally $74.99, on sale for $10.00
ECBs earned: $10.00

-Adidas deodorant
$4.99
ECBs earned: $4.99

-Roll of Sweetarts (as a filler item)
normally .79, on sale for .50

Total regular prices for this transaction: $80.77
Total sale prices for this transaction: $15.49
Total coupons used: $5.00 (off of $15 CVS coupon)
Used $3.99 ECB earned in last transaction and $6.00 ECB I already had
Total paid out-of-pocket: $.50
Total ECBs earned: $14.99


Store 2, Transaction 2:
-Colgate 360 toothbrush
$3.99
ECBs earned: $3.99

-3 Mylanta 5 oz. bottles
normally $3.29, on sale for $1.65
used (2) $2.00 coupons (this register accepted them whereas the other store's didn't)
Total: $.95
ECBs earned: thought it would be $6.00, but must have been wrong Mylanta

-Excedrin 24ct.
normally $5.29, on sale for $1.99 (and I actually found two boxes wrapped together that said 'Buy One Get One Free!!)
used $2.00 coupon
Total: $+.01 (for TWO boxes!)
ECBs earned: none

-3 Musketeer bar (filler item)
normally $.79, on sale for $.50
ECBs earned: none

-Roll of Spree candy (filler item)
normally $.79, on sale for $.50
ECBs earned: none

Total regular prices for this transaction: $20.73
Total sale prices for this transaction: $11.93
Total coupons used: $10.00 ($4 on Mylanta, $1 on Excedrin, and $5 off $15 CVS coupon BECAUSE my original total came to $15.92 because I had another Colgate toothbrush in there, but I mistakenly had an Oral B coupon instead of a Colgate coupon therefore I couldn't use it, so I had her take off the second toothbrush, bringing my total down to $11.93)
Total ECBs used: $4.99 earned in last transaction
Total out-of-pocket at this poing: $-3.06 (oops! Totally didn't mean to do this...she made me add something on to bring this back up, so I added a bag of Reece Cups @ $2.99)
Total out-of-pocket now: $.23 (-.07 + .30 tax)
ECBs earned: 3.99 (thought I would get $6 more from the Mylanta, but again, must have been wrong kind...DARN!)

So to summarize:
Total regular prices of everything: $186.69
Total sale prices of everything: $88.63
Total paid out-of-pocket: $1.99 ($1.28 of that being for tax!)
Started out with: $24.00 in ECBs
Earned a total of: $45.33 in ECBs
Used a total of $41.98 in ECBs
ECBs left for next time: $27.35

*As a note, I didn't fully understand the deal with getting the $5/$15 coupons and regret using them. I have since trashed the remaining ones I still had after learning more about it. I thought anyone who subscribed to the Newsday.com website was able to use these coupons, and that's what I thought I did. With this wording in an email I received from Newsday, I guess I misunderstood that you were supposed to be an actualy PAYING customer of a SUBSCRIPTION, not just have a Newsday account... "Please take a moment to click on the link below to create your account on Newsday.com. As soon as we receive your confirmation, you will be able to enjoy full access to the site." Simple misunderstanding. Please make sure any coupons you use are ones that you are entitled to.

No comments: