Thursday, December 20, 2007

It Was Worse Than What We Thought

First of all, have you bought your Carbon Monoxide detector yet? If you already had one, have you checked to make sure it's working correctly? On the advice of two trusted firemen, the brand 'Nighthawk' is the only brand of CO detector to go with. Naturally, it's the most expensive brand, but WELL worth the investment. Here's what one had to say...



"First Alert and other brands are not reliable in several ways including failing to alert you properly and, on the other extreme- going off accidentally when there isn't any danger."



I beg you, don't wait. Make this small investment for the safety of your family. Even if you don't have any gas lines coming into your home, There are many ways in which carbon monoxide can be released into your home and cause respiratory damage to your lungs, or worse, death. The following is a list of items that may cause CO to enter your home:



Fireplaces

Heaters

Hot Water Heaters

Gas Stoves / Ovens

Automobiles (Attached garages)

Grills; propane, gas or charcoal

Kerosene Heaters

Dryers with clogged ductwork

Nearby traffic





Anyway, a dear friend of ours that works at our gas company came out on his own time last night just to test the air in our home so we could have that peace of mind and our entire house tested at a 0!! He said that since our heat had been off for a while before it was tested Tuesday that it's very likely that our number could have actually been as much as double what it registered! We were already in the 'possible death' range! Phew.



The repair man came out today to check out our furnace and told Sweetie that from the looks of it this has probably been going on for quite some time and we just didn't know it. That means that we've most likely had long-term exposure to the Carbon Monoxide and had no idea.



And the cost to repair this problem? Anywhere from $2000-$3000. That's because the furnace is 14 years old and it all needs replaced, so we're contemplating going to all electric since the cost won't be much different. That is a steep cost for us, but I'm not worried. If God saved us from something we didn't even know was there, something nobody knew to even pray about, something that should have taken our lives, then I know He's MORE than able to provide a way for us to have heat! Oh ye of little faith. How much time have we wasted worrying about things that God is more than able to take care of? I'm telling you, this whole situation has really done something inside of me. Dh is concerned about how we're going to get the furnace fixed/replaced, and normally I would be worrying right along with him. But I told him today that he's going to have to walk that road by himself from now on 'cause I'm not walking it! My God is going to take care of us! Praise be to God on high!

2 comments:

CB said...

Praise God for the protection he gave you and for the change in your heart!

Christie (FIAR)

Celia said...

Christy,

Still praising God for His protection. After your experience, we plugged our CO monitor (yes, a Nighthawk!) back in--it had been unplugged a couple years probably!

Inquire at your local electric company. When we replaced our heater 3 or 4 years ago, they gave us a $500 rebate for also installing a heat pump with the furnace. They also gave us a low interest loan for the furnace--they had $57 a month to our electric bill.

Hugs, dear friend! --Celia (FIAR)