Thursday, July 1, 2010

The BEST Potato Soup EV-EH!

Oh. My. GOODNESS!  This is SO YUMMY!  And I even use ingredients to try to keep the millions of calories down to just a few hundred thousand and it's still scrumdiliocious!

Ok, so I know it's not the time of the year one would normally make a big pot of potato soup, but we had company tonight and an unused bag of potatoes, so soup it was.

This recipe came from combining a couple different recipes from 'healthy' cookbooks together and tweaking it just a bit, so I guess you can call it my own. 
For our growing family of 6 I have to double the recipe just to keep everybody happy when they go back for that second bowl.  However, I'll just give you the recipe as is and you can do with it as you please.  Double it.  Triple it.  But I would never suggest halving it.  Trust me, you'll be sorry if you do!  And if your family enjoys and can spare a couple hundred thousand calories, please, feel free to substitute whole-fat, regular versions of the milk, butter, and cream cheese.

Ok, here goes...

Christy's Potato Soup

5 lbs. potatoes
8 oz. fat free cream cheese, softened
1 stick lite butter
1/2 c. chopped onions
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 c. water boiled w/3 chicken boullion cubes
2 c. skim milk
cubed ham (add until your heart's desire)
salt & pepper
(You can also fry up some bacon and break it into pieces into your soup if you'd like.  YUM!)

*Peel and cube (not too small) potatoes.
*Cook potatoes and onions until tender.
*While potatoes are cooking, boil water and add bouillion cubes.
*Drain potatoes.
*Return potatoes to pot and add all other ingredients.
*Boil low/simmer until desired thickness and butter and cream cheese are completly mixed in.
*Serve with shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.
*ENJOY!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

It has been over 100 here and I still want to make this soup for dinner. It looks sooo yummy!