Sunday, January 18, 2009

Inauguration Vent


Yes, I know my last entry was all about how we need to teach those things we don't necessarily agree with... evolution, Hitler, Obama becoming President... and it's true. We do have to teach about those things. But just as I have plenty of thoughts and feelings about evolution and Hitler, can I just vent about this Inauguration for a second? (Warning: I have a feeling this won't be the last time I vent regarding this presidency. After all, 4 [maybe 8?] years is a long time.)

Anyway, I just read a story on FoxNews.com that already has me rolling my eyes.

The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.

In 2005, Reps. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., and Jim McDermott, D-Wash., asked Bush to show a little less pomp and be a little more circumspect at his party.

"President Roosevelt held his 1945 inaugural at the White House, making a short speech and serving guests cold chicken salad and plain pound cake," the two lawmakers wrote in a letter. "During World War I, President Wilson did not have any parties at his 1917 inaugural, saying that such festivities would be undignified."

The thinking was that, with the nation at war, excessive celebration was inappropriate. Four years later, the nation is still at war. Unemployment has risen sharply. And Obama pressed Congress to release the second half of a $700 billion bailout package in hopes of rescuing a faltering banking industry.

Obama's inauguration committee says it is mindful of the times and is not worried people will see the four days of festivities as excessive.

"That is probably not the way the country is going to be looking at it," said committee spokeswoman Linda Douglass. "It is not a celebration of an election. It is a celebration of our common values."

Douglass said the campaign sought to keep costs down by having the same decorations at each of the 10 balls, eliminating floral arrangements and negotiating prices on food.

"Those at the Obama administration are trying to be reflective of the climate," McDermott's spokesman, Mike DeCeasar, said Saturday.

I hate to rain on their party, but yes, that IS the way we're looking at it. It IS excessive when we have people in our own country struggling to keep their homes, pay their bills and feed their families. If it was good enough for Roosevelt, Wilson, and Bush, then by golly Obama isn't any different! I would love to hear what our founding fathers would have to say about today's spending of the people's money and the state of our nation as a whole.

It's not that the spending for this inauguration is just 'excessive', it's 'record breaking' for goodness sakes! Tell me, what in the WORLD does putting a new president in the White House have ANYTHING to do with rock concerts? And 10 Inaugural balls? Good grief. Who are they really for? Do you really think anyone, including Obama and his wife, really wants to try to attend 10 balls in one night? What's the point?! Isn't that just a bit over the top? Oh, but how intelligent and frugal of them to have the same decorations at each ball, eliminate floral arrangements, and negotiate food prices. GRRRR!

It just angers me so much when I have personal friends losing their jobs and homes and struggling to buy groceries to feed their children. And don't even get me started on our homeless in this country. I'm sure they're all for 'celebrating our common values'. Nevermind their empty bellies and cold fingers and toes. As long as our country parties and celebrates excessively over a new president they'll be fine. Please. Common values my foot!

Sigh... getting down off my soapbox. For now.




2 comments:

Rebecca Harber said...

Amen girl I agree!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sick of his presidency already. My brother and I noticed that all the pics of him seem to resemble the ones of a certain dictator... :-p

Excess is something I have come to expect of Dems. :(

And I also have come to expect the press to approve of whatever he does. *rolleyes*