Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Shhh...He Doesn't Know He's Learning


I have found a way to give Handsome his spelling words, teach Reece Cup to read and spell bigger words, and obtain a few free minutes all at the same time! My secret? I let Reece Cup read off his brother's spelling list for him. After big brother has spelled them on his paper he reads it back to little brother who follows along in my book and tells big brother whether he's right or not, then tells him his next word. (Don't worry, I'm always right beside him making sure he says the words correctly, which he usually does).

It's great! I'm accomplishing teaching two kids at once, and one doesn't even realize it! In fact, it was actually little brother's idea. One I didn't agree to at first, but once I realized how badly he wanted to do this and how it would actually help him too, well, who am I to stop the educational process?

We've always heard of the benefits of older kids helping teach younger ones, but in this case it's the other way around!

Now, if I could just get them to teach each other math!

4 comments:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

It is always a blessing when you figure out how to have one child help another willingly and joyfully-- let alone the bonus of actually teaching spelling at the same time!

LOL on the 500 posts to catch up on! I have BTDT with my bloglines. Sometimes you just gotta start over-- no sense in letting something like blogging stress you out!

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

I love it when my kids teach eachother! That's the best. I wrote a whole post about that here http://homeschoolingfour.blogspot.com/2007/12/let-older-teach-younger.html

Squimpleton said...

My brother and I used to do that all the time. That probably explains why, even though we were 2 years apart, we had about the same vocabulary.
Of course we would also do a lot of reading because we played a lot of video games, mainly RPG's and platformers.

Jolene said...

lol, I just did this this week! I have been slacking on the spelling tests lately and decided to get them to give each other their spelling tests. It worked beautifully and I think I will be doing that more often!