Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review: Rocking Robots Download N Go


Amanda Bennett has created some really awesome unit studies over the years, many of which we have used in our homeschooling journey.  Her latest adventure, Download N Go, is a series of weekly unit studies for children between Kindergarten and fourth grade, although children from the ages of around 4 through 12 or so would easily benefit from and enjoy them.  Each DNG has a central theme, the Constitution, Ben Franklin, or Autumn Treasures for example, and contains daily lesson plans while also incorporating lapbooking activities.

We were given the opportunity to review Rocking Robots as our first experience with Download N Go's, however, we came in very late in the review time frame so we weren't able to use it to it's full intent.  BUT!  Let me tell you, that has only added to the excitement in my children!  They want to do more and dig deeper than what we have been able to do!  I'm going to be honest.  My first initial thought was that my kids were too old for DNG's and that they would think they were too 'babyish'.  Boy was I proven wrong!  Here's what your week with Rocking Robots will look like:

Day 1: What Is a Robot?
Day 2: The History of Robots
Day 3: People and Places of Robots
Day 4: Science Secrets of Robots
Day 5: Goodies and Gadgets of Robots

Because of the time constraint, we more or less just read through Rocking Robots, visited the links provided, discussed so many different things (all sparked by the information in the DNG), and watched some REALLY COOL videos all pertaining to robots!  Even I was amazed at the things we watched robots do!  I had no idea they were used to perform such awesome acts.  It truly was fascinating.

As I was scrolling down through the DNG (and that's the best part about them, you just download them and you're ready to go!) a couple of the kids were watching over my shoulder.  I kept hearing things like, "Oh!  That's cool!", or "What's that?", and even a few, "I want to do THAT!"  So much for my thinking they were too old for DNG's!


So, even though my time is up for the official review, it's safe to say that our time with Rocking Robots is far from over.  This Download N Go has sparked such an excitement with robots that my 10-year-old son has now added a robot of his own to his Christmas list and as I sit here typing this he and his brother and younger sister are watching the movie 'Robots' as they go to bed.  Does that tell you anything?

Each Download N Go is priced at only $7.95 and can be purchased here.  If you're interested in Rocking Robots you can read more about it, including other reviews, as well as download a sample of it here.


No comments: